Wednesday 8 April 2015

Neurosurgeon - Neurologist

As soon as I was released from the hospital, I was flooded with appointment after appointment.  It didn't help that two neurologists had my file!  Then it was more blood work and more MRI's

I met my neurosurgeon for the first time since the initial bedside meeting.  He and I discussed what was happening, what options I had and the risks associated with each.  As I had some left handed tendencies there was a concern about just going in blindly to do the full surgery, especially when we didn't know exactly what we were dealing with.  So we both agreed that a biopsy was the best shot to see what we were dealing with and buy us some time to do some other test. The surgery was scheduled 15 days from diagnosis (or a week from that appointment).  It was a little scary not knowing how bad it would hurt and what the outcome would be but I put on my big girl panties and just focused on the fact it needed to be done.

I also saw my neurologist prior to the surgery.  He determined that even though it was not proven through the EEG, that I was in fact having seizures when I experienced the vision issues.  He told me right there that he had a legal obligation to notify MPI and would pull my licence for 6 months and I would get it back if I was stable and passed all the testing.  You could tell he was uncomfortable with my crying when he slid the kleenex box aaaaaaaall the way across his desk and just kind of looked at me blankly.  Sorry dude...if you do that to an independent person like me, they are gonna cry.  He tried to comfort me by saying....we'll you've been stable almost 2 weeks, so it's really only 5 months and 2 weeks until you get it back if you pass the tests. haha  I get it though.  At the time, there was a risk to not only my safety but others out there on the road so I understood, it had to happen.  Although there was no diffinative proof of seizure, they put me on anti-seizure meds and I'm happy to say as if April 8/15...I'm still stable :D

During the 2 weeks prior to surgery, all I did was go from appointment to appointment with the help of two of my favourite ladies (who also happened to be 2 of the 3 friends I went to Boulder with).  JJ and Kim were so amazing being my shuttle service and lunch dates.  They made the fear a lot more bearable....mostly because I was laughing (or eating) most of the time!

Next up...surgery #1...

No comments:

Post a Comment